This cake is delicately flavored with Earl Gray tea. It’s coated in a German model buttercream and completed with a easy textured edge and a few ornamental piping on prime. You could find tips about find out how to make German Buttercream in our Baker’s Complete Guide to Buttercream.
Earl Gray Layer Cake with Vanilla Bean German Buttercream
- 2⅓ cups (560 grams) entire milk
- ½ cup plus 1 tablespoon (54 grams) loose-leaf Earl Gray tea
- four massive eggs (200 grams), room temperature
- ½ cup (120 grams) full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 massive egg yolks (38 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 4¾ cups plus 1 tablespoon (602 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2¼ cups (450 grams) granulated sugar
- 3¼ teaspoons (16.25 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- Vanilla Bean German Buttercream (recipe follows)
- In a small saucepan, warmth milk over medium warmth simply till bubbles type round edges of pan. (Don’t boil.) Take away from the warmth, and add tea; cowl and steep for 20 minutes. Pressure by means of a fine-mesh sieve right into a small bowl, urgent down on tea leaves to extract as a lot liquid as attainable; discard solids. Let cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour 3 (8-inch) spherical cake pans; line backside of pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively 1¼ cups (330 grams) Earl Gray milk, eggs, yogurt, egg yolks, and vanilla bean paste.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt at low pace simply till mixed. With mixer on low pace, add butter, 1 dice at a time, beating till nicely mixed. (Combination ought to seem like sand.) Add half of milk combination, beating simply till mixed. Add remaining milk combination, and beat at medium pace simply till mixed. Fold batter utilizing a rubber spatula to make sure that no dry elements stay. Divide batter amongst ready pans.
- Bake till springy to the contact and a picket choose inserted in middle comes out clear, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pans for 15 minutes. Take away from pans, and let cool fully on wire racks.
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake turntable. (To assist maintain cake in place, smear about 1½ teaspoons Vanilla Bean German Buttercream onto middle of turntable earlier than including first cake layer.) Unfold 1 cup (184 grams) Vanilla Bean German Buttercream onto cake layer. High with second cake layer, urgent very frivolously to safe, and seal edge the place cake layers meet with a skinny layer of buttercream. Unfold 1 cup (184 grams) buttercream on second cake layer, and prime with remaining cake layer. (I like so as to add this one the other way up to present a pleasant clean prime.) Apply a skinny layer of buttercream to prime and sides of cake, smoothing with an of set spatula or icing scraper. Refrigerate till crumb coat is ready, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Unfold Vanilla Bean German Buttercream in a thick, clean layer on prime and sides of cake. Create a sample by holding an of set spatula in opposition to sides of cake and rotating the turntable, slowly shifting spatula up. Easy of prime edge.
- Place remaining buttercream in a piping bag fitted with a French star tip (Ateco #866). Pipe a shell design or your required design on the highest of the cake. Refrigerate till able to serve. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour earlier than serving. Refrigerate in an hermetic container for as much as 1 week.
Vanilla Bean German Buttercream
- 1⅔ cups (333 grams) granulated sugar
- four tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon (35 grams) cornstarch
- Three massive eggs (150 grams), room temperature
- Three massive egg yolks (56 grams), room temperature
- 1 teaspoon (Three grams) kosher salt
- 2¼ cups plus 2 tablespoons (570 grams) entire milk
- Three teaspoons (18 grams) vanilla bean paste (see Observe)
- 4½ cups (1,021 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively sugar and cornstarch. Add eggs, egg yolks, and salt, whisking to mix.
- In a medium saucepan, warmth milk and vanilla bean paste over low warmth simply till bubbles type round edges of pan. (Don’t boil.) Pour half of sizzling milk combination into sugar combination, whisking consistently. Whisk till nicely mixed; return combination to saucepan, and warmth over medium warmth, whisking consistently, till it begins to bubble. It’s going to thicken rapidly. As soon as it has thickened, prepare dinner for 1 minute. Pour right into a shallow container or the bowl of a stand mixer, and canopy with a bit of plastic wrap, urgent wrap instantly onto floor of pastry cream to stop a pores and skin from forming. Refrigerate for at the very least four hours or ideally in a single day. (If you have to pace this course of up, place pastry cream in a bowl, and place bowl in an ice bathtub. Stir continuously.)
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, beat pastry cream at medium pace till creamy and clean. Add butter, just a few cubes at a time, beating till nicely mixed after every addition. (Combination could look curdled sooner or later, however it should come collectively.) Change to the paddle attachment, and beat at low pace for two to three minutes to assist launch any air bubbles. Retailer in an hermetic container till prepared to make use of. If refrigerating, let stand at room temperature to heat barely, and rewhip till clean earlier than utilizing.
The vanilla taste on this buttercream comes from vanilla bean paste, which additionally provides the buttercream little black flecks of vanilla bean seeds. Vanilla extract will work nicely, too.