We’re flipping the script in your favourite onion soup. This pillowy bread spherical combines sherry, thyme, and caramelized onions to impart the standard French onion taste whereas Gruyère brings tacky decadence to the method.
French Onion Bread
- 4¼ cups (531 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- ¼ cup (50 grams) granulated sugar
- 2¼ teaspoons (7 grams) lively dry yeast*
- 1 teaspoon (Three grams) kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) entire milk
- ½ cup (120 grams) water
- ⅓ cup (76 grams) unsalted butter
- ¼ cup (60 grams) bitter cream
- 1 massive egg (50 grams)
- Caramelized Onions (recipe follows)
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons (four grams) contemporary thyme
- eight ounces (227 grams) Gruyère cheese, shredded and divided
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk collectively 2 cups (250 grams) flour, sugar, yeast, and salt by hand.
- In a medium saucepan, warmth milk, ½ cup (120 grams) water, butter, and bitter cream over medium warmth till an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C). Add heat milk combination to flour combination, and utilizing the paddle attachment, beat at medium velocity till mixed. Add egg, beating till mixed. With mixer on low velocity, regularly add 2 cups (250 grams) flour, beating till mixed.
- Swap to the dough hook attachment. Beat at low velocity till a gentle, clean, and considerably sticky dough types and pulls away from bowl, 9 to 10 minutes. Add as much as remaining ¼ cup (31 grams) flour if dough is simply too sticky. End up dough onto a calmly floured floor, and form right into a clean spherical.
- Flippantly oil a big bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease prime. Cowl and let rise in a heat, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) till doubled in measurement, 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Spray a 9-inch spherical cake pan with cooking spray.
- Flippantly punch down dough. Cowl and let stand for five minutes. End up dough onto a calmly floured floor, and roll right into a 21×12-inch rectangle. In a small bowl, mix softened butter and thyme. Unfold thyme butter onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on one lengthy aspect. Sprinkle and unfold Caramelized Onions onto butter. Sprinkle 6 ounces (170 grams) cheese onto onions.
- Beginning with lengthy aspect reverse border, roll dough right into a log, pinching seam to seal. Place log seam aspect down, and minimize in half lengthwise, leaving 1½ inches at one finish. Flip halves minimize sides up, and punctiliously twist dough items round one another; type right into a circle. Place, minimize sides up, in ready pan. Cowl and let rise in a heat, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) till puffed, about 30 minutes.
- Place one oven rack in middle and one at prime of oven. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Bake on middle rack for 30 minutes. Sprinkle remaining 2 ounces (57 grams) cheese on prime, and bake till cheese is melted and golden brown and an instant-read thermometer inserted in middle registers 190°F (88°C), 15 to 20 minutes extra, putting a chunk of foil on prime rack of oven to stop extra browning, if needed. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Take away from pan. Serve heat or at room temperature.
*We used Pink Star Lively Dry Yeast
- ¼ cup (57 grams) unsalted butter
- 2 kilos (908 grams) Vidalia onions, thinly sliced (about eight cups)
- 1 teaspoon (Three grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) floor black pepper
- ½ cup (120 grams) dry sherry
- In a big Dutch oven, soften butter over medium warmth. Add onion; prepare dinner, stirring often, till softened, about 15 minutes. Add salt, sugar, and pepper; prepare dinner, stirring often, till onion is deep golden brown, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Improve warmth to excessive. Add sherry; prepare dinner till most of liquid has evaporated. Switch to a glass bowl, and let cool to room temperature.