Packing a filling with freeze-dried strawberries and chopped pistachios, these candy buns pack loads of fruity taste. A tangy cream cheese drizzle affords an orthodox end to very unorthodox buns.
Strawberry-Pistachio Candy Buns
- 4¼ to 4½ cups (531 to 563 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- ¾ cup (150 grams) plus ⅓ cup (67 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 1 (0.25-ounce) bundle (7 grams) lively dry yeast
- 2¼ teaspoons (6 grams) kosher salt, divided
- 1¼ cups (300 grams) entire milk
- 1 cup (227 grams) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 1 massive egg (50 grams)
- 1 cup (16 grams) freeze-dried strawberries, coarsely crushed (see Word)
- 1⅓ cups (21 grams) freeze-dried strawberries, finely floor (see Word)
- ¼ teaspoon floor black pepper
- ¼ cup (28 grams) finely chopped roasted salted pistachios
- Cream Cheese Glaze (recipe follows)
- Garnish: crushed freeze-dried strawberries
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, mix 1½ cups (188 grams) flour, ⅓ cup (67 grams) sugar, yeast, and a couple of teaspoons (6 grams) salt.
- In a medium saucepan, warmth milk and ½ cup (113.5 grams) butter over medium warmth till an instant-read thermometer registers 120°F (49°C) to 130°F (54°C). Add heat milk combination to flour combination, and beat at medium velocity for two minutes. Add egg, and beat at medium-high velocity for two minutes. With mixer on low velocity, regularly add 2¾ cups (344 grams) flour, beating simply till mixed and stopping to scrape sides of bowl as wanted.
- Swap to the dough hook attachment. Beat at medium velocity till a delicate, considerably sticky dough types, about 5 minutes, stopping to scrape dough hook and sides of bowl as wanted. Add crushed strawberries, and beat till dough is clean and elastic, 1 to three minutes, including as much as remaining ¼ cup (31 grams) flour, including 1 tablespoon at a time, if essential. (Dough ought to move the windowpane check [see PRO TIP] however should stick barely to sides of bowl.)
- Calmly oil a big bowl. Place dough in bowl, turning to grease prime. Cowl and let rise in a heat, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) till doubled in dimension, 40 minutes to 1 hour. (See Make Forward tip on web page 77 for make-ahead technique.)
- Spray 13×9-inch baking pan with cooking spray. Line pan with parchment paper, letting extra prolong over sides of pan.
- In a small bowl, stir collectively floor strawberries, pepper, remaining ¾ cup (150 grams) sugar, remaining ½ cup (113.5 grams) butter, and remaining ¼ teaspoon salt till properly mixed.
- Calmly punch down dough. Cowl and let stand for five minutes. Prove dough onto a frivolously floured floor, and roll into an 18×12-inch rectangle. Utilizing a small offset spatula, unfold strawberry combination onto dough, leaving a ½-inch border on one lengthy aspect. Sprinkle with pistachios. Beginning with reverse lengthy aspect, roll up dough, jelly roll fashion; pinch seam to seal. Gently form log to 18 inches lengthy and even thickness, if essential. Utilizing a serrated knife dipped in flour, minimize log into 12 slices (about 1½ inches thick). Place slices, minimize aspect down, in ready pan. Cowl and let rise in a heat, draft-free place (75°F/24°C) till doubled in dimension, 30 to 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Bake till frivolously golden and an instant-read thermometer inserted in middle registers 190°F (88°C), 25 to 30 minutes, loosely overlaying with foil to stop extra browning, if essential. Let cool in pan for 20 minutes. Utilizing extra parchment as handles, take away from pan. Drizzle with Cream Cheese Glaze. Garnish with freeze-dried strawberries, if desired. Serve heat. Cowl, and retailer in fridge.
PRO TIP: Check the dough for correct gluten growth by utilizing the windowpane check. Pinch off (don’t tear) a small piece of dough. Slowly pull the dough out from the middle. If the dough is prepared, it is possible for you to to stretch it till it’s skinny and translucent like a windowpane. If the dough tears, it’s not fairly prepared. Beat 1 minute extra, and check once more.
Cream Cheese Glaze
- Three ounces (86 grams) cream cheese, softened
- ⅔ cup (80 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- 1 teaspoon (5 grams) entire milk
- ¼ teaspoon (1 gram) vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon kosher salt
- In a small bowl, stir collectively all substances till clean. Spoon glaze right into a small pastry bag; minimize a ¼-inch gap in tip. Use instantly.