Skip the cake pan and bake this pound cake in your cast iron skillet! Fresh strawberries and a sprinkle of sugar on top make this poundcake perfect for spring.
Strawberry Skillet Pound Cake
- ¾ cup (170 grams) plus 1 tablespoon (14 grams) unsalted butter, softened and divided
- 2 cups (250 grams) plus 2 tablespoons (16 grams) all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 pound (454 grams) fresh strawberries
- 1½ cups (300 grams) plus 3 tablespoons (36 grams) granulated sugar, divided
- 3 large eggs (150 grams)
- ¾ teaspoon (3 grams) vanilla extract
- 1¾ teaspoons (8.75 grams) baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ¾ cup (180 grams) sour cream
- Preheat oven to 350° (180°C). Brush a 10-inch skillet or cake pan with 1 tablespoon (14 grams) butter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons (16 grams) flour, shaking out excess.
- Chop half of strawberries; cut remaining strawberries in half lengthwise.
- In a large bowl, beat 1½ cups (300 grams) sugar and remaining ¾ cup (170 grams) butter with a mixer at high speed until fluffy, 3 to 4 minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Reduce mixer speed to medium; add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together baking powder, salt, and remaining 2 cups (250 grams) flour. Gradually add baking powder mixture to sugar mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending with baking powder mixture, beating just until combined after each addition. Fold in chopped strawberries. Spoon batter into prepared skillet, spreading evenly. Arrange strawberry halves on top, slightly pressing into batter. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons (24 grams) sugar.
- Bake until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, about 50 minutes, covering edges with foil to prevent excess browning, if necessary. Sprinkle with remaining 1 tablespoon (12 grams) sugar. Let cool completely in skillet on a wire rack.