An ombré end at all times creates a surprising presentation. This cake has raspberries baked proper into the layers and is completed with a Swiss meringue buttercream, which is coloured and flavored with freeze-dried raspberries. Check out our Baker’s Complete Guide to Buttercream for tips about the best way to create this ombré impact. You could find extra buttercream inspiration in our March/April 2020 issue.
Vanilla and Raspberry Cake with Ombré Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- 1¼ cups (300 grams) entire milk
- four giant eggs (200 grams), room temperature
- ½ cup (120 grams) full-fat Greek yogurt
- 2 giant egg yolks (37 grams), room temperature
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- 4¾ cups plus 1 tablespoon (602 grams) all-purpose flour
- 2¼ cups (450 grams) granulated sugar
- 3¼ teaspoons (16.25 grams) baking powder
- ½ teaspoon (1.5 grams) kosher salt
- 1½ cups (340 grams) unsalted butter, cubed and softened
- Three cups (390 grams) contemporary or frozen raspberries (see Observe)
- Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream (recipe follows)
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Butter and flour 3 (8-inch) spherical cake pans; line backside of pans with parchment paper.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively milk, eggs, yogurt, egg yolks, and vanilla bean paste.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat flour, sugar, baking powder, and salt at low velocity simply till mixed. With mixer on low velocity, add butter, 1 dice at a time, beating till properly mixed. (Combination ought to appear like sand.) Add half of milk combination, beating simply till mixed. Add remaining milk combination, and beat at medium velocity simply till mixed. Fold batter utilizing a rubber spatula to make sure that no dry components stay. Divide batter amongst ready pans. Organize raspberries evenly on prime of every cake, urgent a number of barely into the batter. (It will assist to distribute them extra evenly all through the cake.)
- Bake till springy to the contact and a wood decide inserted in heart comes out clear, 35 to 40 minutes. Let cool in pans for 15 minutes. Take away from pans, and let cool fully on wire racks. (As soon as cool, wrap tightly in plastic wrap if not utilizing instantly.)
- Place 1 cake layer on a cake turntable. (To assist maintain cake in place, smear about 1½ teaspoons Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream onto heart of turntable earlier than including first cake layer.) Unfold 1 cup (160 grams) gentle pink Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream on cake layer. Prime with second cake layer, urgent very calmly to safe, and seal edge the place cake layers meet with a skinny layer of sunshine pink buttercream. Unfold 1 cup (160 grams) gentle pink buttercream on second cake layer, and prime with remaining cake layer. (I like so as to add this one the wrong way up to offer a pleasant easy prime.) Apply a skinny layer of sunshine pink buttercream to prime and sides of cake, smoothing with an of set spatula or icing scraper. Refrigerate till set, 20 to 30 minutes.
- To create an ombré impact, unfold backside one-third of cake with darkish pink Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream, center one-third with gentle pink buttercream, and prime one-third and prime of cake with white buttercream. Utilizing a cake scraper pressed calmly towards buttercream, mix colours, including extra the place wanted to assist mix and fill in any patches. Utilizing an of set spatula, add swoops and swirls to sides of cake to offer texture.
- Place remaining buttercream (each pink and white—this may create a reasonably swirl impact) in a piping bag fitted with an open star tip (Wilton 1M). Pipe buttercream on prime of cake as desired. Refrigerate till able to serve. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour earlier than serving. Refrigerate in an hermetic container for as much as 1 week.
You should utilize both contemporary or frozen raspberries on this recipe. If utilizing frozen, let thaw on paper towel to soak up further moisture earlier than utilizing. Including them to the batter on the finish ensures they gained’t sink and burn on the edges of the pan. If you’re utilizing frozen, the berries could weep a bit of juice into the batter as they bake.
To make powdered freeze-dried raspberries, place Three ounces (85 grams) freeze-dried raspberries within the work bowl of a meals processor, and course of till they’re a fantastic powder.
Raspberry Swiss Meringue Buttercream
- Eight giant egg whites (240 grams)
- 2 cups (400 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon (Three grams) kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons (12 grams) vanilla bean paste
- four cups (908 grams) chilly unsalted butter, cubed
- 14 tablespoons (70 grams) powdered freeze-dried raspberries (see Observe), divided
- Pink gel meals coloring (optionally available)
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk collectively egg whites, sugar, and salt by hand. Place bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Cook dinner, whisking continually, till an instant-read thermometer registers 160°F (71°C) and sugar is dissolved.
- Fastidiously return bowl to face mixer. Utilizing the whisk attachment, beat at excessive velocity till white and fluffy, 5 to six minutes. Add chilly butter, 1 dice at a time, beating till mixed after every addition. (Combination could look curdled at this level, however it would come collectively.) Beat at excessive velocity for Three minutes. Beat in vanilla bean paste. Switch 1¼ cups (200 grams) buttercream to a small bowl, and put aside. (This might be your white buttercream for the ombré impact.)
- Add 10 tablespoons (50 grams) raspberry powder to remaining buttercream, and beat till mixed.
- Switch 1¼ cups (200 grams) of buttercream to a different small bowl. Stir in remaining four tablespoons (20 grams) raspberry powder and some drops of meals coloring (if utilizing). Use instantly.