Traditional Hummingbird Cake
Makes 1 (8-inch) cake
- 3½ cups (438 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 grams) firmly packed darkish brown sugar
- 1¼ teaspoons (6.25 grams) baking soda
- 1¼ teaspoons (2.5 grams) floor cinnamon
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon (1 gram) floor nutmeg
- 1 (20-ounce) can (567 grams) crushed pineapple, drained
- 1¼ cups (284 grams) mashed ripe banana
- 1 cup (224 grams) canola oil
- Three massive eggs (150 grams), calmly crushed
- 2 teaspoons (Eight grams) vanilla extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: chopped toasted pecans
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray 2 (8-inch) spherical cake pans with baking spray with flour. Line backside of pans with parchment paper; spray parchment.
- In a big bowl, stir collectively flour, sugars, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and nutmeg.
- In a medium bowl, stir collectively pineapple, banana, oil, eggs, and vanilla. Add to flour combination, stirring till mixed. Divide batter between ready pans, smoothing tops with an offset spatula.
- Bake till a wood decide inserted in heart comes out clear, about 37 minutes. Let cool in pans for 10 minutes. Take away from pans, and let cool utterly on wire racks.
- To assemble as a one-layer cake, wrap second cake layer in plastic wrap and retailer within the freezer. Unfold frosting over cake and garnish with pecans, if deserved. Cowl and refrigerate for as much as 2 days.
- To assemble as a layer cake, unfold frosting between layers and on high and sides of cake. Garnish, cowl, and refrigerate for as much as 2 days.
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1 (8-ounce) packages (226 grams) cream cheese, softened
- 6 tablespoons (85 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 pound (453.5 grams) confectioners’ sugar, sifted (about 7½ cups)
- 1 tablespoon (15 grams) complete milk
- 1 teaspoon (1 gram) vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon (Three grams) kosher salt
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat cream cheese and butter at medium velocity till creamy. Step by step add confectioners’ sugar, beating till mixed. Add milk, beating till frosting reaches a spreadable consistency. Add vanilla and salt, beating till mixed.
Double frosting to cowl a two-layer cake.