There’s one thing so nostalgic about yellow cake with chocolate frosting, and generally, there’s simply nothing higher! As a part of our celebratory birthday week for editor-in-chief Brian Hart Hoffman, we’re taking our Vanilla Buttermilk Cake with Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting and turning it into particular person mini muffins. We hope these mini muffins will add a pop of coloration and sweetness to any birthday celebration!
Small-Batch Vanilla Buttermilk Mini Desserts with Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- ½ cup (113 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup (200 grams) granulated sugar
- 2 giant eggs (100 grams)
- ½ teaspoon (2 grams) vanilla extract
- 1⅓ cups (167 grams) all-purpose flour
- 1¼ teaspoons (6.25 grams) baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup (120 grams) entire buttermilk
- Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting (recipe follows)
- Garnish: multicolored sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 6-well mini cake pan* with baking spray with flour.
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter and sugar at medium velocity till fluffy, Three to four minutes, stopping to scrape sides of bowl. Add eggs, one by one, beating effectively after every addition. Beat in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk collectively flour, baking powder, and salt. With mixer on low velocity, progressively add flour combination to butter combination alternately with buttermilk, starting and ending with flour combination, beating simply till mixed after every addition. Divide batter amongst ready wells.
- Bake till a picket decide inserted in heart comes out clear, about 18 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes. Take away from pan, and let cool fully on a wire rack. Unfold Chocolate-Buttermilk Frosting onto cooled muffins. Garnish with sprinkles, if desired.
*We used USA Pan Mini Spherical Cake Pan, obtainable at surlatable.com.
Chocolate Buttermilk Frosting
- ¾ cup (170 grams) unsalted butter, softened
- Three cups (360 grams) confectioners’ sugar
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons (31 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¾ teaspoon (2.25 grams) kosher salt
- 4½ tablespoons (67.5 grams) entire buttermilk
- Within the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat butter at medium velocity till creamy.
- In a big bowl, sift collectively confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, and salt; whisk collectively. Cut back mixer velocity to low, and add sugar combination, beating till mixed. Steadily add buttermilk, beating till combination reaches a spreadable consistency.